Friday, October 30, 2009

44

52:44 by ChristianLeBlanc

I usually have no trouble coming up with melodies for songs; this week, I just let myself go crazy coming up with new lines, to the point where I already had more than enough but just kept adding more and more. The Moog solo at the end is one of my favourite lines I've written (although that could change by tomorrow morning, who knows).

My problem with this song: it still follows my old habit of just writing a chorus, and extending it into a full song. Yes, you can tell there are different sections to this tune, but I'd still like to write sections that are a little more distinct from each other. Although I wonder - if I put more time into the drums, would I have the same complaint? What do you think?

Guitars are either too loud for the rest of the track, or need the high end rolled off. I had already put too much time into it to mess around much further.

The last two lines of lyrics: pun fully intended, I think I was digging around too much for an important-sounding metaphor. In my opinion, I came up short, although with the background vocals, I feel as though there's enough there that the music helps make the words seem more significant than they actually are.

Despite the impression I'm giving, I'm actually quite pleased with how this one turned out!

"And I know things have to change
And I know things have to end
Why can't it be the rain that disappears?
Why does it have to mean we can't still be friends?

I think I have to really push this time
'Cuz if I don't, I'm pulled in again
When the ground's full of so much rain
We must allow for saturated clay"

2 comments:

  1. I like the solo too. (Guitar solos are usually "meh" to me but synth solos always rock my socks.) That's the funky stuff. Good jaarb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one has a nice new home on my computer :D Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete