Sunday, October 11, 2009

41

52:41 by ChristianLeBlanc

Click here for "41(synth)"

With proper production, I really believe this could be a good song! As it is, I'd like to think that it at least hints at its potential :)

The main motivation this week was to do something along the lines of Silversun Pickups and their 90's-revival loud/quiet/loud formula. Sure it's cliche, but, so is everything else I write; looked at in this way, this is a serious step up for me in terms of writing! I'd like to try more songs like this; it just feels a lot less flat than most of my other tunes.

What I still need to work on: creating different lines for different parts of the song. Despite the differences in volume, this one is still basically the same lines over and over again.

What the hell is going on with my voice this week? Well, since I was attempting to rip off Silversun Pickups so closely, I figured I might as well try ripping off their vocal style, too! I like the results, but I sure understand if noone else does :) (I even do a good scream like them, but it was pretty late when I did the vocals, so...bad idea!)

The synth was a last-minute addition, and it made the mix even muddier than the guitar-and-bass-only version, so I count the official '41' to be the one without any Moog on it. The organ-sounding line is repeating the actual bass line, just to try and help it stand out better. The lead synth line was just sooooo much fun to play! I got to use my pitch wheel and my mod wheel!

Lyrically, nothing is going on here, but I like that the music tricks me into thinking they're somehow significant :)

Also this week: zomgNylaissocuteandshessuchasweetkittyilovehersomuchzomg!!!<3<3<3

"We're not falling down

You can push
And you can bite
You can even kill
But we won't fight

In a parking lot
That you forgot
We fucked up a lot
But we won't fight

We're not falling down"

1 comment:

  1. Non-synthy version: I love the opening of this! When the other stuff comes in, it seems too muddled to me, detracting from the goodness. I'm not a SP fan (neither of them) but you're doing a spot-on imitation.

    Synthy-version: The opening bit I loved in the other version seems like a siren now. Seems more muddled & static-y. Sorry. Absolutely like the non-synthy version better.

    ReplyDelete