Sunday, July 5, 2009

27

52:27 by ChristianLeBlanc

EDIT: Click here for "27 Guitar"

Came up with the vocal melody for this one first, and then thought up some guitar chords to accompany the vocals. But, since Jill and I just moved into our new townhouse and are currently in the midst of unpacking, I had to instead turn to my old friend, the QY-70, to see me through another week :)

(click here for a close-up!)

So, kind of went on auto-pilot for this week's song - meaning, I didn't really try anything new or different. Actually, the approach to this song was in reaction to song 25: keep things simple. With all the packing, working, moving, and unpacking that's been going on, this was a good week to go the simple route.

Listening again now, I can tell that my focus was on song structure, more so than melody - or a clean vocal take! ;)

"When does black turn to grey?
When does this start to be ok?
Because I've seen that side
And I think you could provide

Never thought
This could be
Something closer now than never used to seem

Well I still
Constantly miss
What you do, would you consider trying this

That's when black turns to grey
That's when this starts to feel ok
I really want to see this side
And I think that you will find

Despite the years and the miles
What's worth taking takes a while
The morning air with you
That's when grey starts turning blue"

2 comments:

  1. I really like how the bassline and the melody "lock" together. They compliment each other very well.

    It seems right now that the part that begins with "That's when black turns to grey..." is an obvious choice for the chorus. Focussing on that piece (and perhaps repeating it a few times) may be a good idea. I dunno, just talking out loud. ;) For some reason, as I was listening to this, I also imagined big, bold drum embellishments on the chorus. Just something else to set it apart from the rest of the song. I imagined the beats on the verses as they are right now, quite understated, but then things really liven up on the chorus. I heard a very metallic, echoey drum sound in my head during the chorus.

    BTW, is that an Electrobash poster I see in the bottom right hand corner of the photo? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I didn't realize it was in the picture when I took it, but as soon as I posted it, I wondered if you would notice!

    Yeah, that show looms large in my memory of all-time favourite shows. Hence the poster's survival :)

    And thank you! I agree, more drums emphasis is needed. Maybe next week I'll experiment with regular drums for one part, then throw distortion on the drums for another part, and double up two clean drums for yet another part, just to see the difference it all makes?

    Yes. Yes I will. Thank you for next week's idea!

    ReplyDelete