Sunday, March 22, 2009

12

52:12 by ChristianLeBlanc

Click here for "12 Matrix"*

Again, I recorded two versions; one mixed straight off the computer, the other played through a filter on my mp3 player.

So it's been a while, but I finally have the guitar back at the apartment :) I've gotten EXTREMELY spoiled by how polished my QY-70 (and most of my keyboards in general) make everything sound. In terms of mixing my songs, it almost feels like I'm starting this project from scratch again. I think I need to study up a bit on compression, noise reduction (to get rid of guitar hum), etc.

Although the reverb makes the vocals quite hard to distinguish, I really like how they sound, especially some parts of the harmonization towards the end. Form over function, I guess!

I got really lazy with the drums on this one. I have no shame!

Lyrically, a trick I like to use is to take the words I start out with and just write the opposite instead, in the hopes of turning a cliché into something a little bit fresher. Here, I like to think it creates some tension between what the words are saying and the mood of the song. Not sure if it actually does, but I like to think that.

"In my life,
In my dreams,
What is right?
Everything.

In my life,
So it seems,
Daylight breaks
Constantly."

*Editor's note: because I needed to find a new site to host these songs on, and space was at a premium, I've decided not to bother re-uploading 'matrix' versions.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of "Charlotte Sometimes", just in the echoes & the guitar (translation: a nice moody, 80s feel to it.) Very atmospheric. Only thing I can say is maybe hold off & gradually lead into the vocals, not jump right into them immediately... but I'm sure you're probably doing that because of your time constraints. And maybe turn the vocals up to hear 'em better or better yet, maybe blend them right into the background so they're almost indistinguishable like wind through the trees(if that makes sense!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Your musical influences are very obvious on this one (The Cure, Smashing Pumpkins, etc). That's definitely not a bad thing. I do agree with you about the generous echo on your vocals. I think it sounds very airy and dream-like. Good move! You've also got some really good guitar work on here. The strumming/chords compliment the melody line very well.

    If I could offer any suggestions, it seems like the hi hat is just a bit too loud. But otherwise I think this is really cool!

    ReplyDelete