Tuesday, March 3, 2009

09

52:09 by ChristianLeBlanc

Click here for "09 matrix"*


Ok, my vocals took a backslide. Maybe I'm more of a 'sprinter' than a 'long-distance runner' right now. Whatever it is, it sounds like the kids from Azrael's Abyss taking their first shot at the mic :) Tried singing the vocals twice, but each take was too different from the other, leaving things rather muddled and amateurish-sounding (not trying to be hurtful, yo! I'm just saying, is all.) Also (briefly) tried a bit of sampling at the end; since I was just playing, threw some reverb, flange and phase into it.

Two 'versions' of the song I uploaded: the first is normal, and the next one is just played from my mp3 player into the computer again, with the 'matrix' surround sound setting on. All my music sounds better to me through this filter, so I thought I'd see what happens when I'd cheat and try this out. Tell me what you think!

*Editor's note: because I needed to find a new site to host these songs on, and space was at a premium, I've decided not to bother re-uploading 'matrix' versions.

2 comments:

  1. Nice. I immediately liked the slower, moody tone of this song. It unfurls at its own pace, which I like. Again, you do a good job of using the right sounds to convey a certain mood. Bravo!

    I also really liked the lyrics in this one. In particular, the lines "You had so much to give/And you didn't seem to mind" struck a chord with me. Very direct. Also, I wanted to say that I honestly didn't think your vocals were as bad as you had mentioned. I think we all tend to be our own worst critics, especially in terms of vocals. I know I do the exact same thing. If anything, your vocals are very distinct, which is more than many singers can claim.

    I also liked the "matrix" effect. We all have favorite effects, don't we? My MR8 has some mastering effects, but for the most part I stay away from them. I just don't like how they make my recordings sound. It also has built-in echos and reverbs, but again, I find my outboard effects decks have much better effects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. C.S. Graves

    I like where this one was headed, only critique I could think of might be a change in the piano/bass line... maybe in the beginning have it be less rapid... perhaps an eighth-sixteenth-eighth note rhythm instead of all sixteens, until other lines and instruments are brought in to compete with it.

    ReplyDelete