Saturday, March 14, 2009

11

52:11 by ChristianLeBlanc

Something different this time. Thought I'd try my hand at remixing. The really really hard part: taking a completed mp3 of a song somebody did and trying to separate all the separate sounds through EQ alone. Let me tell you, it was all kinds of no fun. There were always leftover drums I didn't want, and the resulting vocals always lost whatever frequency they shared with the drum bits I was trying to get rid of. If I ever try something like this again, it'll be when I have access to individual .wav files so that I can actually remix things properly.

The only instrumentation I added was the strings and the extra drum track. I like how the reverse guitar part sounds, however, I couldn't really drop more samples into it without the leftover drum beat in the sample throwing off the tempo.

The original song, by the way, is by The Gear, and is called "Reckless Reasoning"; for the time being, you can listen to it here: http://www.aaapop.com/downloads.php


1 comment:

  1. Very interesting remix. I've done quite a few remixes myself, and I find it is an art unto itself. There are similarities to composing an original track, but for the most part I find that remixing a song is not exactly the same creative process to doing something from scratch. It strikes me as a whole other ballgame.

    I applaud you for having the patience to isolate all those tracks. I could never do that. Just the thought of how tedious this must have been makes me wince. :) It's so much easier, like you said, to all ready have the tracks isolated as nice clean wav files. I liked your remix...it's really original. Backward effects are cool, but I think I found there was a bit too much of it here. I applaud you for adding your own material...many remixers seem very scared to do that, and strictly stick to the provided tracks.

    ReplyDelete