Sunday, February 1, 2009

05

52:05 by ChristianLeBlanc

Here it is, my first attempt at writing music in 5/4 time.

It's about 2 minutes long (it's ok, they're my rules, I can break them).

It's probably the weirdest thing I ever wrote. I love it.

Vocals sounded a lot cooler singing by myself in the car. They lose something when you live in an apartment and you can't sing as loud as you'd want. I put some overdrive on the main vocal line to try and make up for it.

As for the silliness factor: I like to think that the strangeness of writing in a new time signature led to it.

"Have some of this pie
It's still a bit warm
Will you survive
This tasty storm

I know in time
This feeling ends
I hope til then
We stay good friends

See, in my mind
A fractured thought
Keeps me from seeing
The way I ought

So when that day comes
Know that it's a lie
When I tell you
I hope you die"

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This is COOL! :) And you are right...I'm sure this is the most unusual thing I've ever heard you do. But there's nothing wrong with that! As one of my old profs used to say about poetry, "it's that element of weirdness that can often be responsible for some of the best poems".

    It immediately had a jerky, nervous kind of David Byrne quality that of course is right up my alley. Great! I also loved all the sounds you have going on at the end. They all blend together well. And I especially loved how vocally you were complimenting your crazy lead vocals with the high harmonies. Brilliant.

    All I can say is, I sincerely hope you expand this one into a full length song someday!

    ReplyDelete