Monday, February 16, 2009

07

52:07 by ChristianLeBlanc

I don't count this as a late post. My laptop died over the weekend, but the song was ready in time :)

Lyrics inspired by reading Alex Robinson's graphic novel "Too Cool to be Forgotten," which comes highly recommended. Can be found off the shelf at the local Indigo, or order it from a local comic shop instead (put out by Top Shelf Comix). http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16538

Anyway, I say 'inspired by' instead of saying 'the song is about' because the words don't do the story justice.

I had a song in mind for week 7, but discarded it in favour of a different tune. Then a stray line from that 2nd song ended up being the first line you hear in this 3rd and final attempt.

"I'm not happy 'cuz I couldn't speak then
Despite all my strength I was weak then
I told them something I wanted to tell them
It didn't happen that way but I'll pretend

Again and again and I'm falling
Pages and pages keep calling
Some of these revisions are sad and appalling
Again and again and I'm falling down."

Musically: my first attempt at a backwards echo. Used gating and compression on the vocals, but I cheated and used all automatic settings. I think I can tell the difference, but it could be subconscious. Anyone with a better set of ears than mine want to comment?

1 comment:

  1. I think this one has lots of promise, Christian. Your vocal melody is very, very catchy. It immediately invites people to sing along. The beeping melody in the background gives the song a nice flow, and compliments the vocals perfectly. I also really liked the backwards effect at the beginning of the song. Very cool. One thing I've learned is that effects like this should be used sparingly. I used to have a habit of overusing an effect in a song if I thought it was really cool. But on a production level, often I really do think that less is more.

    It sounds like you've got an excellent verse, all you need now is a strong chorus to go along with it. As I listened to this, it did actually remind me of a theme song for an 80s high school drama TV show (a good, well written one). "Too Cool To Be Forgotten" looks really interesting. I can see why you would enjoy it...visually it does remind me a bit of Daniel Clowes.

    ReplyDelete