Monday, February 23, 2009

08

52:08 by ChristianLeBlanc

Laptop update: the hard drive is backed up and I'm ready to ship the whole thing back to HP. That's why this is posted Monday morning, instead of Sunday morning.

A last-minute dealy. Hated it when I was working on it, liked it a little more the next morning when I recorded it to the computer.

Cons:
-arpeggio pattern doesn't quite seem to 'loop' correctly
-bass line gets lost in the mix; should have nudged it over to make it stand out more, or choose a different voice
-didn't bother mixing/separating the individual drum parts

Pros:
+doubled the vocals to thicken them; also used gating and compression and eq.
+getting more confident singing. Compared the vocals on this track to "01" and really feel like I'm progressing, thanks in no small part to the excellent feedback I've been lucky enough to get.

I also included a scrap piece that came out of working on this song. Originally, I just had some piano chords playing. Went into edit mode and scrolled through it, and that gave me the idea to use an arpeggio pattern. Played the chords live into the sequencer originally, which gives the pattern a nicely random element, depending on what key got pressed first on which chord.

Click here for "08 (scrap)"

"You said you were Prometheus
Stealing fire, getting tired of us

Instead you fell like Icarus
Lost your spark, yeah you lost so much more to us

Than you know"

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I agree that this is probably some of your best singing ever. Well done.

    I liked how everything just seemed to "fit together" really well in this track. All the sounds blend together nicely. I did find that the sequence (not sure what it's called, but the sequence that starts at the very beginning and runs throughout) seemed a bit loud to my ears. Maybe turn it down a bit? Other than that, it all sounds great. I also loved the chords, and especially the sound you used to play them. It was nice and full without being obtrusive.

    And the piano piece sounds cool. Maybe this could be used in a break halfway through the song? Just an idea. Or, it would probably sound cool in a remix/alternate version of the song.

    This reminded me somewhat of New Order, which is certainly not a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. C.S. Graves

    Not positive if I hear it correctly, but the bassline sounds sometimes dissonant with the rest... I like that percolating, FM type sound that runs through it, though it may be a little too strong in the mix when the other elements are introduced.

    ReplyDelete