Saturday, September 26, 2009

39

52:39 by ChristianLeBlanc

Originally, every melody in this song was on guitar. This meant lots of static when it played back, despite my best efforts at equalization. So, I replaced two lines with my QY-70, sang another line, and left the last one alone. You can still hear some static when the guitar melody plays alongside the guitar chords. Anyone feel like giving me some tips on how to avoid that?

"You've been away now
I've been away too
It always works out
I don't know that's true

If I can't take it
If I can't make it
I'll at least face it
Until it makes sense

Maybe I'll win
And see you again
Or maybe you'll win
And you won't hear from me again"

Update: I made a music video for this song! Simple travel footage, from going to meet the Allreds last week, but at least it sort of commemorates the 3/4 completion point!

3 comments:

  1. In terms of avoiding static, I'm wondering how exactly you record your guitar. Do you put a mic in front of an amp, or do you plug your guitar directly into a mixer?

    I find that many folks will insist that you should never, ever plug your guitar directly into a mixer and/or a recorder, but to be honest I find that I get the best results that way. To my ears, doing this will always give me the cleanest signal.

    I also find that the electric guitar by its very nature is an inherently noisy instrument (certainly much noisier than synths) and it can be very hard to avoid static in many situations. I'm sure there are special effects decks out there that would cut down on such noise, however it all boils down to what we can afford.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the guitar plugged into a pedal, and then the pedal directly into the computer. One thing I noticed was that the signal degraded considerably once recorded. The sound I heard while playing the guitar, headphones from the computer, sounded really crisp and clean; what played back lost a lot of its crispy clean-ness. I'll have to try out a higher recording resolution for the guitar, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. In many ways, digital is still a great mystery to me. Reportedly, digital is supposed to give you a near perfect reproduction of the original sound. And in many cases it does. But I have also noticed with my digital 8 track that if I do track jumping (or, what some people call "piggy backing", that is, taking sounds recorded on a bunch of individual tracks and moving them all together to another track to free up track space) often the recording quality of the moved tracks will degrade considerably. Huh? It's digital! It's not supposed to do that! But it does. And I know I'm not just imagining it.

    I find some of the mysteries of the recording studio can be fascinating, while others are frustrating!

    ReplyDelete