Tuesday, August 11, 2009

33

52:33 by ChristianLeBlanc

There was a wind noise effect on the Moog called "Windy Night," which I played around with and named "Windy Light." Complex, I know. How do these artistic types do it.

I recorded the melody as a rough demo a while back, and Tuesday morning, went to add drums to it. My normal habit of 'bass and snare' followed by a constant hi-hat wasn't working out for me, so it forced me to try something new. I ended up using 4 different tracks on the QY-70 for the drums, each doing a different bit. I then added a phaser to it, which I think makes it sound a lot more interesting. It's an approach I'd like to try more in the future...especially turning one track off, then back on and turn another off, etc (a tiny bit of what I mean happens at the end of the song, when the programming reaches its end).

I'd like to share two links with you that I've found while browsing around the internet. The first is an interview with Daniel Clowes, who at some point talks about the effect of cartoonists spending so much of their time isolated at a drawing board: click here (via neilalien).

The other link is a longer article talking about the upcoming Beatles Rock Band game. There are some very interesting thoughts in there about a universal desire to create music, as well as reasons why Rock Band and Guitar Hero players get so much flak from some people: click here (via Robert W. Getz).

The reason I include these is that, due to a project like this, I'm forced more than ever to examine why it is that I make music. I know I have a strong drive to do so, but I don't quite completely understand it. Daniel Clowes cartoons as a way of making sense of the world; while lyrics can help with that sometimes, writing music does not do that for me. Yet I will still happily isolate myself to work on songs, mixes, etc.

There are a lot of famous musicians that, in their interviews, always say something along the lines of "if this wasn't my career, I would still be doing this for free" (similar quotes are attributed to actors, painters, writers, cartoonists, etc). I like to flatter myself into thinking I'm the other side of that coin, the proof of an idle claim.

But as to why? While it's tempting to say something romantic like "Because We Must!", I'm being serious. At any rate, it's something for another post. But in the meantime, I'd be pleased to hear from anyone, musician or non-, with any insights of their own (that is: PLEASE COMMENT!).

came up on a google image search for 'Windy Light' - click to go to the photographer's flickr site!

4 comments:

  1. Why artists create? I think that, in addition to exploring their own inner nature, it's to add something positive to the world. There's more than enough crap/hate/ugliness/destruction in this world.

    Being able to create things is a rare talent, where (most times) a beautiful piece of art/music/etc is made that people can look to for inspiration and hope, and in turn create their own thing of beauty.

    (Sorry if this seems overly romantic/cheesy. I tried to rewrite it to make it less so. I really did.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Kat! It wasn't cheesy. No cheese will be denied anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fishy to me.

    No really: this song sounds like fishes blowing bubbles. :)

    As for the rest, I think I'm too jaded & disillusioned about music to comment. Right now I'd say people are "creating" for one reason only: it's all about the Benjamins. My attitude comes from being forced to listen to Top 40 radio day-in, day-out at work.

    So setting superficial pop music aside... maybe creativity is just a form of catharsis? Of working out something that's stuck in the mind or subconscious? Or, maybe it's the similar urge people have to want to have children? Or, maybe it's just ego & wanting something to be remembered by. I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a cool track. It has this kind of cold weirdness to it that I love. Actually, right away it reminded me of the "electronic" section of records that used to be at the Saint John Public Library. Remember that? They used to have all these strange and wonderful records by Stockhausen, Tomita, the CBC Electronic Music Department, etc. This song brought that material to mind. Anyway, very cool!

    In terms of why we create, that's a great question. I think there's a multitude of answers. I've always been the type who HAS to create. There's never been a choice for me. I eat, I breathe, I create. For me, I've always been a very quiet, introverted character, so I think that unlike most people who get their inner workings out through speech, I have a tendency to do it through art. I always found
    speech so clumsy and empty, but art can be everlasting.

    I also think it's a way of extending your short existence on this planet. You're creating something that will still be around after you're gone. Plus, I also think it has at least something to do with ego. Someone once asked Leonard Cohen "why do you write poetry?", and without even thinking, his instant response was "to show off". :)

    Anyway, I've always felt a great rapport with fellow creative types.

    ReplyDelete